The Pears Institute for the study of Antisemitism is part of Birkbeck, University of London and adheres to its Data Protection Policy. This means that all personal data is held and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and with the General Data Protection Regulations which came into effect on 25 May 2018.
WHO WE ARE
The Pears Institute for the study of Antisemitism is a centre of innovative research and teaching and actively contributes to public discussion and policy formation on antisemitism and intolerance. We were established by Pears Foundation in 2010 and are located in the School of Social Sciences, History and Philosophy at Birkbeck. Our founding principle is that the study of antisemitism is vital to understanding other forms of racialization, racism, religious intolerance and xenophobia.
The Institute offers a unique forum for dialogue and constructive debate on a range of issues relating to antisemitism and other forms of racism. Our activities embrace everything from academic workshops and teaching, to public policy reports for government and lectures open to the public. In this way we provide an important bridge between academic research and policy and public engagement.
THE TYPE OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The personal data we collect is limited to the following:
- Email Address
- Descriptor – whether you are an academic, independent scholar, student, Birkbeck alumni, or member of the general public
- Areas of interest (optional)
The Institute does not collect or store:
- ‘Sensitive’ information, such as racial/ethnic origin, political, religious or other beliefs
- Credit/debit card details. Events with a delegate fee are processed through Birkbeck’s central event booking system
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
The information we hold will have been obtained directly from you in one of three ways:
- You have registered to attend one of our events
- You have registered for event updates using the form on the Pears Institute website
- You have sent us an email asking to be added to our mailing list
HOW WE USE AND PROCESS THE INFORMATION
- The personal information we collect is stored on our database which is held on Birkbeck’s secure servers. Access is restricted to authorised Pears Institute personnel only.
- We use the information you have provided to keep you informed about Pears Institute events. We send this information by email.
- Every so often, usually once a year, we ask for feedback on our events.
- We use digital analysis tools, such as open and click through rates on our event mailers, to assess the effectiveness of our communications. We also analyse visits to our website and use analytical tools, such as Google Analytics, to measure the traction and assess the effectiveness of the content. We use this information to improve the efficacy of our email and on-line communications.
- We update/remove your data from our database on request.
- We do not share your details with any third parties or individuals looking to contact you, in a personal or professional capacity.
- You can let us know that you would prefer not to receive our communications, simply click the unsubscribe link on our mailers or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are concerned about how your information is used, please contact us directly at email@example.com
CHANGES TO DATA PROTECTION